During Spring, we may be thinking of celebrating Easter, doing some spring cleaning, gardening or some home improvements.
Remember that ingestion of chocolate is toxic to our cats and dogs so we should be careful with those Easter treats. Don’t let your pets nibble on the colorful plastic grass in the Easter baskets … we don’t want to see them having an obstruction in their digestive tract, or severe vomiting which can lead to dehydration. Also keep those lilies and your pets separated. Ingestion of lilies can be fatal.
With that in mind, some of our perennials, such as daffodils and tulips can create problems for your pets as well if ingested. A local garden center can direct you to the pet friendly plants and bulbs. Click here for a list of toxic and non-toxic plants for dogs. Click here for a list of toxic and non-toxic plants for cats.
If you are caring for your lawn yourself, be aware that fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides can be fatal if your pet ingests them. Better yet, ask your garden center for pet friendly products for use on your lawn.
Always store poisonous products where your pet cannot get into them. This includes household cleaners, which can contain chemicals harmful to your pet.
If you are using a lawn service, ask if they offer pet friendly products for use on your lawn. If they don’t, inquire of another service.
Even with pet friendly products used on your lawn, try to keep your pets off the lawn for a while after application and make sure to wipe their paws (and bellies, if you have small pets) to eliminate residue on them.
If they just couldn’t help themselves and rolled in the grass, bathe them to make sure no fertilizer/pesticide/herbicide residue remains on them. We suggest one of our Pet Head Products, such as Pet Head Oatmeal Natural Shampoo.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational only. It does not replace a consultation with a veterinarian and may not be used to diagnose or treat any conditions in your dog or cat.